5 ways to reduce your carbon footprint
Here are some of the most effective ways to reduce your carbon footprint in your daily life and in your home. I have personally found that these steps go hand in hand with beneficial side effects such as enhanced well being and an aesthetically pleasing home!
1. Look at the energy you consume. Make simple changes at home such as changing to LED lightbulbs, taking showers instead of baths, turning lights off and unplugging devices when not in use.
2. Embrace a Zero Waste lifestyle: Try to buy locally sourced, organic, unpackaged goods in bulk. Refuse to buy or acquire unnecessary stuff. Reuse items that are no longer useful. Avoid plastic especially if the goods are disposable. Rot ( compost) food waste.
3. Change to a plant based diet or plant rich diet. ( Always consult dietary changes with your doctor.) Meat consumption has a huge impact on global warming and can also have repercussions on your health. If you really cannot let go of meat, try Meat Free Mondays or eat meat every other day. You will also notice this in your grocery bill.
4. Choose your means of transport carefully. For shorter distances, walk or cycle. For longer distances choose public transport or carpool.
5. Become a minimalist. Declutter your home and refuse to buy things that you do not actually need. Buy second hand, borrow or rent things that you do need. By adopting this lifestyle, you automatically create a mindful and responsible mindset and become more aware of your consumption.